Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Marty Morris Pre-Match Party

Of the 7 orthopedics applicants from UCI this year, Sam was one of four to successfully match to a residency program.  Keeping that in mind, I am so thankful we did not have to go through the scramble process.  Dear God that would have been more than I could have taken.  Sam matching in Orthopedics is amazing regardless of what program takes him, and I am so proud of him completing this journey.  

Tonight, the medical school sponsors the Marty Morris Pre-Match Party at Sutra with funds donated to the medical school by Marty Morris.  I don't know who Dr. Morris was, but I know that he left a HEFTY sum of money to the school that can only be used for social (non academic) purposes.  The pre-match party is an annual tradition held at Sutra in Costa Mesa where medical students, their guests (1 each), and the faculty enjoy a private party to celebrate the impending match day.  It's always been a really good time, but this year seems much more poignant to me since it's the last one and it's all of my friends who are going through the match process.

Obviously it's been tough day to focus at work today since my mind is on other things.  My boss keeps insisting that I'm going to be out of SoCal soon because Sam will match to Stanford.  Unfortunately, I think it's a bit of a long shot for Sam to get into Stanford, but my fingers are crossed for him anyway.  In my heart of hearts, I really hope he matches to USC.  I haven't lived in a big city before (Moraga, Davis, then Irvine) and I feel like I'm really ready for a change.  What better time will there be to try out city living?  Plus, LA is not far from my family in NorCal and my parents have been really, really supportive and made it clear they are willing to travel to visit Sam and I regardless of where he matches.  (Thank you Mom & Dad for all your support!)

Tomorrow morning, we're planning on having a few friends over to do some pre-match mimosa drinking.  We're going to walk from our apartment to the match site since both are on campus.  After a short breakfast, students will be called to the podium to read their match location.  After matching, the 3rd year medical students throw a BBQ for the 4th years and their families and friends.  Hopefully we'll be able to come back to our apartment for a bit after lunch because I'd love to make it to the gym and take a nap before dinner with the Grants.


No comments:

Post a Comment