Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Friday, March 22, 2013

RIP Francois Georges

Mom just texted Carina and I to tell us that she got the call last night that Francois had passed away.

Francois is the father of the children my Mom au paired for in France after high school.  He was one of my grandfather's close friends and coworkers on a few Chevron projects.  They were like family to my mom and her parents, and my mother and his children and (now ex) wife have remained very close over the years.

Francois was diagnosed with lung cancer a while back, and last year around this time he came to dinner at my parents' house to see their new kitchen remodel.  At the time, Mom and Dad noted how much slower he seemed and how it was their suspicion that the cancer had spread into his brain.

In December, Francois's son, Vincent, invited my parents to have lunch in near his home in Napa.  When they arrived, Francois and his daughter Alexandra surprised my parents.  My parents were shocked at how drastically his health had declined.  If I remember correctly, I think Dad said that Francois's native French came much more easily to him that English and that Mom spoke mostly in French with Vincent and Alexandra while Dad and Francois's wife, Olga.

Mom said a friend of Olga's called last night while she was doing laundry and told her that she was going down the list of names of people Francois had requested be notified upon his death.

After Mom texted Carina and I, I called her back.  She was crying, which broke my heart, and she told me how sad she was that she'd never see him again.  I have to agree, the finality of death is so incomprehensible.

As Carina and I tried to console Mom via text messaging this evening it reminded me of when Papa died, and how even in death he has continued giving me opportunities of a lifetime.  Sam and my trip to Southeast Asia was funded by Papa's generous inheritance as was the car I bought myself last December and the puppy laying asleep in my lap as I am typing.

The emptiness and sadness I sometimes feel is uncomfortable yes, but if it's the price I pay for the wonderful, unforgettable years I was able to enjoy the company of my grandparents I am so thankful for the sadness.

Rest in Peace, Francois.  You lived a colorful life, and tonight I will have a glass of wine in your honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment