Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Siem Reap, Cambodia

Crossing the boarder into Thailand was incredibly uneventful and we are having the time of our lives in Siem Reap.  I am SO thankful we decided to come to Cambodia and am thoroughly enjoying the fabulous guest house Tina and Dan recommended to us, La Villa Loti.  Score one for our amateur travel guides!

Yesterday the husband and wife owners at the villa set us up with their tuktuk driver, Mr. Thea.  He took us to see Angkor Thom and some of the surrounding temples, which was much more interesting than I anticipated it being.  There was definitely a real world Indiana Jones feeling, and a little bit of the Jungle Book minus Baghera.  After a morning checking out Angkor Thom and the Jungle Temple, we headed to the back gate of Angkor Wat.

Let me tell you, after all the reading I had done from Tina's Ankor book, walking through the jungle waiting for the temple to show up was very surreal.  I felt like I was Indiana Jones, whom I love dearly, and was totally unaware of how horrifically hot and humid it was.  Once we came upon the temple I was speechless.  Sam and I stood at the back right corner for about five minutes in silence, just taking it all in.  I promise you, the photos DO NOT do it justice.

We did what we could in the little time we had left, and headed back this morning to climb to the top of the third level and do some exploring of the second level.  I wished my dad were with me- we watched those Indiana Jones movies endlessly growing up (especially when I was home sick) and I would love to experience the real life adventure with him someday.

Tonight Sam and I went to the night market and picked up a few souveneers for our amazing moms (Hi Sue & Camille) and had dinner at our favorite restaurant in Siem Reap.  It's hard to believe we're going back to Thailand tomorrow because this has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life, and definitely the best ruins either Sam or I have seen (yet). But we are anxious to get to the beach and work on our tans and hopefully get a little relief from this horrendous jungle heat.

The internet won't let me upload photos right now- it's too slow, so here is the link to the facebook album I made.  Mom, Nonna & all other family members who don't have facebook: click the link, you don't have to have facebook to view the album.  :-)

xoxoxo
Sending lots of love!

Link to the online photo album 

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy you guys had the times of your lives. I was super nostalgic looking at the photos, especially considering that they look so much like our own ;)

    ReplyDelete