Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

More Temples

Sam is feeling a little better today so hopefully we won't have any more under-the-weather issues during our trip.  We took a tour of Pura Luhar Bakturu, one of the directional temples (facing West) on Bali.  The temple was very pretty and it had beautiful flowers and lovely stone carvings, but it just didn't measure up to anything we saw in Cambodia.  Don't get me wrong, the Balinese are wonderful craftsmen, but the bar has been set with Angkor Wat.


During our walk around the temple grounds, we were able to wash our faces with holy water and say a prayer/make a wish to the Gods.  I figured it can't hurt, and with all the prayers we've offered at temples on this trip (in both Cambodia and Bali) I am hoping Sam and I are blessed for quite some time.  

When we visited the temple, Sam and I had to don the traditional sarongs worn by the Balinese out of respect.  I figured this could be my only shot at a picture of Sam in a dress so I had to take advantage of the opportunity.  Truth be told, I think we both look great!  

On our way to the temple we stopped at a hot springs and witnessed a cremation procession and cremation ceremony.  The Balinese believe that you have 5 years to save the money for a cremation after a relative dies, after that you are in danger of the restless soul coming after you.  After the temple, we got to sample 7 teas, coffees, and a hot cocoa (we bought some ginseng coffee and lemon grass tea to bring home with us).  Then we were on to the rice terraces!

Sam wearing an ancient Balinese umbrella 
Rice terraces as far as the eye can see
Sam and I are pretty tired of the "city" at this point.  Seminyak is a small beach community but it runs pretty seamlessly into it's border beach cities and there is a LOT of traffic on the roads between the taxis and the motorbikes.  Adding to the air pollution is the incense burning with the thrice daily offerings to the Gods outside the temples, and businesses.  It's a little bit ridiculous if you ask me, but then again, it's not my faith.  We are looking forward to getting away from the heavy tourist population and back to the tranquil vacation we are loving so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment