Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Railay

Our bungalow at Railay Bay Resort & Spa
I am so content here on Railay Bay that I can't imagine leaving- Sam and I have been joking about canceling our plane tickets and living here for the rest of our lives.  It is SO laid back here, it's the PERFECT vacation location.  

Sam and I hung out at the beach late into the evening last night and then we headed out to find a place to eat.  We are noticing that our guide book isn't very helpful with restaurants because many of the places we've wanted to try have either closed for the season or are no longer under the same ownership.

Luckily, the food has been pretty good regardless of where we've eaten.  Sam is on a serious curry high so we order some variation of that dish it seems like every meal but is probably more like once a day. 

I decided I have a new favorite curry which I intend on learning to cook- Phanaeng Curry.  I had it with prawns last night and it was amazing.  It's much sweeter than it is spicy- a huge bonus for me!  Sam is really into all the hot spices so my tongue has been on fire a lot so far.  :-)
After dinner we headed to The Last Bar to listen to some live music and play some pool. I think the last time I played pool was in the garage of Sam's house junior year when Kevin still had his pool table.  It made me miss Isla Vista and all the good times I had there in college.

We also met up with a bunch of Americans who are out visiting friends before their wedding.  Riki and Aaron grew up in the bay area and both lived in LA for a while as well.  The four of us watched an amazing fire show on the deck of the bar and ended up hanging out well into this morning.
After a slow start this morning (our hotel has an amazing breakfast buffet by the way) Sam and I walked down to Walk Street and booked 2 dives for tomorrow- so exciting!  We're anitcipating poor visibility but I don't care because I am so thrilled to get to dive in Thailand and I know it's going to make Sam's week.  

We took it easy in the lounge chairs on the pool deck that overlook the bay all afternoon.  I think Sam and I both took naps and we read our books and enjoyed the sunshine.  There were a couple of rain showers, but they kept the heat down and only lasted a few minutes so we weren't too hampered by them.  It was nothing compared to what we went through at Khao Lak!

Tonight we found a great restaurant that used to be called The Rock Bar, but has changed names and ownerships and it's unclear what they call themselves now.  Sam thinks it was the best prepared food we've had yet, but I'm not so sure.  On our walk home we passed our hotel restaurant and decided we are going to there tomorrow night because the seafood they are serving is off the hook!


No comments:

Post a Comment