Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Goodbye, Thailand! Hello, Bali!

Sam and I have arrived in Bali!  We came in late last night and went directly to the hotel to get settled in.  This morning we wandered Seminyak (the beach neighborhood we're staying in) and found me a massage- which was awesome!  Then we took a taxi down to Kuta Beach, one of the prime spots for novice surfers on the island.  Sam and I walked along the beach, rented a set of lounge chairs and an umbrella for 2 hours, and then hiked home on the beach.  It was quite a walk, maybe an hour or so long.  And we had a very nice time.  Hopefully we'll be able to do more outdoor activity on this leg of the trip because the weather is supposed to cooperate with our schedule. 

We went out to dinner at one of the restaurants Lonely Planet suggests, Sate Bali, which was fun.  And then we headed back to our neck of the woods to hit up a little bar with live (American) music.  We had a great time, and we definitely had a drink in honor of all of you guys following along at home.



Sam wants me to mention that he's made a few observations about Bali in our first 24 hours:
  • There are couples everywhere and a couple of surfers, but the vast majority of people we have seen are 40-something, overweight, women in herds.
  • It is less hot and less humid here than it was in either Cambodia or Thailand, but it is still hot!
  • Thailand ruined all concept of "cheap" and "expensive"



2 comments:

  1. LOL glad you got your massage...and I hope prices are still low over there! Keep having tons of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's still very cheap, I had a 75 minute massage for about $30 US- and it was one of the top 2-3 massages of my life! The food in Thailand was a little cheaper, but Bali isn't bad. I just can't wait to get out of the tourist areas and go diving and hike in the mountains!

    ReplyDelete