Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Better & Better


"I have to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time"

At dinner in the dress Sam picked out for me
Today was a great vacation day.  Sam and I slept in, and walked up to the tourist lifesaver the Bingtang  Supermarket after breakfast.  We were almost completely out of the Deet-based bug repellent and Tide laundry detergent my grandparents kindly sent me before our departure and Sam needed to do laundry pretty desperately.  

On our way home from the market we stopped at a bookstore because I have already finished both books I brought with me.  I picked up Love and Death in Bali, a historical fiction story based on the Dutch colonization of the island in 1906 and the mass puputan (ritual suicide/fight to the death) of the royal family and followers at their unwillingness to be conquered.  I am only about 100 pages in so far, but I thought it would be interesting to read a historical fiction about the place we're vacationing in, and it's been very insightful to read about the customs and beliefs of the local people.

We also stopped at a small clothing vendor and Sam and I each picked out a dress for me. When we got back to our hotel we elected to hang out by the pool in the shade to give Sam's back a rest from all the sun exposure.  His snorkeling and sunbathing are no match for our SPF 50 suntan lotion.

Tonight Sam wanted to have dinner on the beach overlooking the ocean. Our taxi driver last night had suggested La Lucciola, a beautiful seafood restaurant on the beach, as somewhere we ought to try.  Sure enough it's in the Lonely Planet book and had some great reviews so we got all dolled up and hailed a taxi to make our way over. 

Walkway from the bridge to the restaurant
To get there, we had to walk over a candlelit bridge and through a serious living fence of lit hedges, trees, and bushes.  It was almost like being in the Secret Garden.  I had read that the second story had a good view of the beach and ocean whereas a small grassy knoll obstructed the view on the ground floor.  We requested to sit upstairs, and as a result, we were asked to wait for a table in the bar.  To pass the time (and fill our stomachs) Sam ordered us some calamari.  It was worlds better than our last calamari experience while in Thailand- lightly battered, tender, and incredibly fresh.

Once we were seated, the views exceeded my expectations.  Sam was battling a bit of a sore throat today, so he ordered the seafood stew which was absolutely exquisite in it's presentation and utterly delicious.  I think it was one of the most beautiful things we've ordered so far!  I had some really delicious homemade ravioli, and because we were celebrating Sam's impending graduation, we went crazy and ordered a dessert sampler.

View of the restaurant from the bar
Sam was very appreciative of the impromptu graduation dinner, but let me tell you: he absolutely, 100% deserves it.  Our friends who are married or dating medical students agree there is nothing quite like seeing first hand what these young men and women have sacrificed in the last 4 years- late nights, early mornings, and holidays spent away from home are just a few things that come to mind.  Sam is a very smart guy, he has a generous heart, and I am so looking forward to all the wonderful celebrating we'll be doing in his honor beginning tonight and ending with our families and friends throughout June.

Sam's cioppino- just what the doctor ordered!






1 comment:

  1. SO gorgeous - both YOU and the food, haha!!! Seriously Sam, good choice on dress. :)

    ReplyDelete