Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Wrapping Up Vacay

Our last day in Chile, Sam and I accompanied Justin and Liz on one of their Education Abroad Program (EAP) cultural tours.  The tour we examined the culture of the Mapuche, one group of the indigenous people of Chile.  The Mapuche were the group of native Chileans who were best able to withstand the Spanish invasion into Chile from Peru.  

We went by bus to the largest Mapuche community in the Santiago area which is located on the fringes of the metropolitan limits.  When we arrived, we were (naively) surprised to find that all communication would be in Spanish... uh, say what?  Sam's Spanish is very good, not quite as conversational as Justin's, but he can communicate about most needs.  My Spanish is basic at best- Donde esta el bano... Uno mas cerveza por favor... No hablo Espano muy bueno... you get the picture.  So it was a struggle for me to comprehend much of the deeper meanings.

We had breakfast and lunch with the Mapuche- both of which were really yummy.  Sam and Justin were really happy with the selection we were provided.

The boys with breakfast

Mapuche roof made of straw and logs

The Andes were incredibly breath-taking, I took a million photos
 This was a huge milestone vacation for me, and I am so honored to have been included in Sam's family's vacation.  The opportunity to go abroad to Chile is something that I will always be so thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment