Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Parenting

I have been wanting a puppy for a very long time... Sam and I first started talking about getting one when we moved in together in June 2009, but as I have puppy-sat for people I have realized how drastically my life would change if we were to get a dog.  I thought dogs were a lot of responsibility, Oh My God did I underestimate a child! This week I've had the opportunity to help Emily out with her adorable 13 month old son, Ethan.  

First off, Ethan is the world's most easy-going baby (that I have met).  He smiles and laughs from just about the minute he wakes up to the minute he goes to bed.  I never thought twice about coming to stay with Emily while Matt's out of town because Ethan is such a great kid.  That said, Lord, children are a lot of responsibility.  He depends on me to get up and change him, feed him, and take care of him.  He can't be left alone, and now that he's moving around a lot I have to be very vigilant.  

This morning, he wet through his diaper and onto his sheets and blanket.  Oy vey!  Thank goodness his parents have two blankets because if he had to go without it while I washed and dried it I would have been in big trouble!  I quickly put the sheets, his PJs, and his blanket into the washing machine before getting him into the tub to clean up.  Once he was dried off and dressed, we popped into the car and headed to daycare.  I came back home, dried the laundry, and put everything away.  I can't believe how Emily and Matt handle all of this throughout their busy schedules.  

Poor Emily didn't get home until after 9pm last night, and she was out the door at 5:30 this morning.  She certainly doesn't have time to be doing laundry!  And when she gets home from work she barely has enough time to spend with Ethan, let alone take care of her own personal needs.  I honestly don't think I could do what she does... I have such respect for her and the amazing responsibility that she has in her professional life and her role as a mother and wife.  

This has been a very sobering experience... while I like the idea of having a puppy, even that is a big responsibility and a life changing experience.  And while I love Ethan dearly, I do not want the responsibility of having a baby yet.  Mom, Dad, you are nuts for having me when you were my age!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment