Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

RIP Steve

Today, we have lost a real innovator.  As I sit here typing away on my MacBook Pro, with my Apple wireless mouse, and my iPhone4 sitting within my reach, I realize how profoundly Mr. Jobs has changed my life despite the fact that we've never met.

Sam convinced me to go the Mac route when I replaced my desktop with a laptop the Christmas after I graduated from college.  He loved all of his Apple products (iPod, Mac, etc.) and was quick to point out the ease of Apple's "plug and play" software capabilities.  There wouldn't be as much installation of software or as many interface-related glitches.  I figured I would give it a try, and, with some help from my tech savvy friends, I was up and running in no time.

Before long, maybe a year later, I was still a poor schmuck without a smart phone, a slave to t-9 texting.  The iPhone had caught my attention and the luring convenience of having my music library in my pocket at all times along with my address book, my emails, and my calendar was hard to resist.  I did eventually give in to the beauty of the iPhone, and Sam tells me I am an iPhone junkie.  True, I upgrade my technology and buy every other generation of the iPhone (on average) but that is what I love about it.  The cutting edge, the features, the "what will they think of next".

Today, I salute Steve Jobs on a career very well done.  I applaud his remarkable ability to stay involved with Apple as the CEO for as long as he did- stepping down roughly 2 months prior to his death.  I thank him for his innovation and keen business sense, for the way he has shaped our technology, and for the ability to check my email, play sudoku, post to facebook, and text my mother all while taking a call from Sam that he'll be home for dinner in a half hour.

Best of luck in the great beyond, sir.  And if you bump into Melvin and Marie Hunter, give them my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment