Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

PR & Advertising

Last night, my second class of the quarter started and I must say I am impressed.  Both classes I am enrolled in are going to be incredibly interesting.  The PR & Advertising class on Wednesday nights is broken into 2 parts, the first 60-90 minutes will be devoted to a guest speaker (mostly PR people) and the second 90-120 minutes will be lecture based.

It's incredibly interesting to hear these PR professionals speak about their jobs and see first hand what power they wield in shaping consumer trends.  I must admit I am very intrigued by theories of persuasion and coercion, possibly thanks to my mentor at UC Davis, and I like the idea that it's possible to shape an entire product's success based on the decisions marketing teams make.  I seem to be just a little power-hungry, no?

I think what I'm finding I really want is to make a difference.  Sam comes home and talks about saving people's lives- literally saving their lives- based on the decisions and diagnoses he makes on a day-to-day basis.  And what have I done?  Most days I'm happy to have submitted two job applications, made it to the gym, accomplished errands (groceries, laundry, etc.), and cooked dinner.  Disclaimer: I am in no way suggesting those are not important things.  On the contrary, I can personally attest to the commitment required to have a fresh-cooked meal and eat as as 'family' every night.  There's also the task of menu planning which can be a bit overwhelming when you're trying to work with a budget, be heath-conscious, and also vary your meals.  I also appreciate the time it takes to do laundry: wash, dry, fold, put away.  But when Sam finishes telling me about his day and asks, "So how was your day?  What did you do?"  I would like to have something substantial to tell him about... and I think this is the key point, I want to have something I personally view as substantial.  I applaud the individuals who want be homemakers- one look at our apartment and you will see that I love coordinating my decor with the seasons, and I am definitely known to be a fan of home cooking, but I aspire to more.  I want to be somebody, and not just somebody who goes to work and pushes paper around.  I want to make a difference.

To tie this into popular culture, here's a great quote:
“Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking.  Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on." -Steve Jobs 

No comments:

Post a Comment