Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Happiness

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DADDY!  
I love you!

*Note* I do not mean to sound like I am bragging, but this was the best week of my career.

No, seriously, it was the coolest.  I got to redesign the company logo... well I'm still working on it, but hopefully I will be done sometime next week.  And I got to know the other 9 people in the company- some a little better than others.  The techs who perform the installations, maintenance, and cabling are all REALLY nice.  I especially like our HR woman who is the only other girl in the office.  She and I have been bonding over our history in sports (hers in soccer and mine in water polo) and I also really like her husband, the tech supervisor/manager.  He set up my new MacBook with both OS and Windows operating systems and set up a VPN (virtual private network) so that I can run all our office programs and access our servers from home.  My boss, the CEO/President/Owner, gave me permission to work from home for an hour or two in the morning or afternoon if it's too noisy in the office and I'm being distracted.  Right now, I don't think I'll need to do that... but it's good to know that I have the option.  In all seriousness, I will probably wait until we start heavily launching the social media campaign to do something like that, and also until I have my company phone.

On that topic: they want me to have a work cell phone, and have given me two options.

  • The first option is to use my own personal cell phone and have the company set up a google voice phone number for me to use professionally that will forward to my cell phone.  The downside of that, is all outbound calls would have my cell phone number on caller ID unless I block it.  A former co-worker told me that she would NOT recommend blocking my number because many people (myself included) don't answer unknown calls.  I also don't know if I could sync my personal Mac calendars with my Outlook calendar on my iPhone or if I have to choose one to be primary.  
  • The other option is that the company would provide me with a cell phone to be used only professionally... which is kind of a cool idea because then I would be able to keep a clean division between work and personal communication.  It does, however, complicate matters because then I have 2 phones to keep track of and probably a new phone to learn because it's doubtful they would get me an iPhone... although they did get me a MacBook.  


In addition to getting to know my new co-workers, I also had two business lunches- my first ever!  Wednesday I took my boss' place at a leads sharing luncheon and Friday we met one of the Senior Board Members for our city's Chamber of Commerce.  My boss asked me to make an effort to attend some of the Chamber's monthly meetings when the start back up in January, so stay tuned for more on that.

All in all, life is going well for me... I am eager to end classes this coming week because as it is I am going straight from work to class on Mondays and Wednesdays and Sam has been complaining that he never gets to see me.  My how the tables have turned!  In all seriousness, it's doubtful that I would take 2 classes while working full-time at this job.  I will possibly take one class in January, but the one offered is supposedly very academic and numbers oriented so I am a little concerned about my ability to juggle that and the responsibilities of my job.  

Time will tell!


No comments:

Post a Comment