Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Black Friday

I have never been Black Friday Shopping before this year.  Mom was definitely missing Carina, her partner in retail shopping, so I agreed to head to the mall with her before meeting one of my tennis class friends to play tennis.

Mom was in my room to wake me up at 6am... WTF?!?!  It's the holidays, why would we get up at 6am to go shopping?  She must have been really confused about which daughter she was spending the holidays with at that point.  :-)  But I digress, we got up and drove to Fashion Island, the mall in Newport Beach.  Our first receipts were stamped 7am.  For the love of God, I was in a mall before 7am people- that is a FIRST!  We bought lots of great stuff that I have wanted for a while, practical kitchen stuff.

Then we went to the Apple store and I hit the jackpot.  Mom's 3G hasn't been functioning with her Words With Friends (which she is addicted to) so I had promised her I would fix it for her.  We used her free upgrade and split the cost of a new iPhone 4Gs for me and then had the Apple Store Guys erase my iPhone 4G and upload all of my Mom's stuff onto it.  Not bad, ladies and gentlemen.  She's got the ability to play all her games and I'm going to benefit from Siri (if that is actually a benefit).

We went into Nordstroms and Urban Outfitters and Antonia's.  When we finally got home (I cancelled my tennis date) Dad had pulled up the carpet to run the wires to our surround sound DVD/TV speakers and set the whole system up for us.  I think that was his Thank You to Sam for getting the football games on Thanksgiving.  :-)

From there, Mom, Dad and I went to town Decking the Halls for Christmas.  Dad was a huge help.  After he set up the tree my Mom gave me, he hung the picture that used to belong to my maternal grandparents up in the kitchen, and he hung up our Christmas lights on our patio which required him to run some extension cords and get a little creative.  By far the best thing was that he and Mom bought Sam and I a barbecue as our combined Christmas present and Sam's birthday gift.  When Sam came home, we met him at the garage and my Dad set up a tennis ball on a string so that Sam knows how far to pull in without hitting the front of the car or leaving the tail end to be crunched by the garage door.

When Sam came into the house he was surprised to see how much we had accomplished, he called us Team Disney.  It was great to see him smiling so widely when I took him out on the balcony to see the new grill- he was so excited.  And he and my Mom got to sit on the couch in front of the fireplace while Dad and I grilled filet mignon and asparagus to go with Mom's salad and the left over sweet potatoes from Thanksgiving Dinner.

It was a really nice dinner.  We opened and decanted the Carmenere wine from the Mont Gras winery we visited with Sam's parents in Chile.  I bought them the bottle for their birthday gifts and they were super pleased with it.  It was, as I said, a really nice dinner.  And Mom and I had wrapped her other gift for Sam's birthday and gotten him a card so that we could sing to him with a candle in his piece of left-over pie after dinner.  She bought him a couple of cute ornaments- a soccer player, one that says JOY, and one that says "Better Not Pout".  I think he liked them because he immediately got up and hung them.  He even broke out the espresso alfahores (cookies) from Chile to share with my folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment