Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Gift Wrap

I can't believe that the holiday season is almost here... my parents come to visit in 9 days for Thanksgiving!  Hence I am trying to get their gifts and my sister's wrapped and labeled so they can drive them to NorCal when they head home.  Next on my agenda is to start working on gifts for Sam's family... I already know what I'm doing, it's just a matter of sitting down and taking on the project.  Maybe I will do that this afternoon...

Sam took his Orthopedic Surgery Department Exam yesterday.  It's an annual exam that ensures the residents will pass their Board Exams and graduate from Residency.  He has been really bummed lately because his Trauma schedule has him working the entire week of Thanksgiving without a day off.  I think this mostly troubles him because my parents are coming down Tuesday-Sunday and he won't be able to spend a single day with them.  Making things worse, he has to work nights on his birthday so we won't be able to celebrate until 4 days later.  To ice the cake, he is pretty sure that he won't get Christmas Eve or Christmas Day off when his parents are in town.  And we're both assuming NYE is a bust as well.  [Insert plea to be including in someone's NYE plans here]  

I keep trying to tell Sam that things will get better, but unfortunately that won't happen until 3rd year.  Next year will in fact be worse.  He will be on call overnight every 4th night and the 4 2nd year residents will have to take turns covering the weekends.  Not good.  I am accepting any and all advice from residents and significant others who have survived the 2nd year of ortho residency.


No comments:

Post a Comment