Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Spring Time in SoCal

Spring has officially sprung here in Southern California... that's evident in our blooming patio.  I am really pleased that the hydrangea came back after going dormant during the winter months.  It has been a real joy watching the leaves grow out from bare stems and the little buds open up into small pedals.  There is even the slightest hue of pink coming through in the flowers.  I clearly need to treat the soil again soon to increase the acidity and turn the flowers blue- my favorite color for hydrangeas.  I also should probably treat the whole patio with Miracle Grow, I think I'm a little behind on the weekly nutrient boost.  Oops!  We'll see how they turn out, I am really hoping for a deep blue-purple color.  Worst case scenario I'll just head back to Lowes and consult with their Garden department to see what can be done.

These beautiful pink flowers are absolutely gorgeous.  It's funny, Mom brought this Rubber Plant down to me last year at Thanksgiving and they've done remarkably well ever since.  A few months ago I repotted this bad boy in a pot with a drain hole and that has made a world of difference.  When I pulled the plant out of the last pot, I was shocked to see that the roots hadn't been able to spread out into the bottom of the pot because there was no way for the water to get down to the bottom of the pot.  Since the repotting it has been nothing but growth for the Rubber Plant.  It has grown at least an inch in all directions and the blooms have been more vibrant than ever before... that could also be due to the Miracle Grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment