Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Seasons

So The Walking Dead season 3 ended this weekend... I will be honest I watched the season finale on Monday because I was watching the Game of Thrones premier on Sunday.

I must say, if there is one thing I really appreciate about HBO (and believe me there are LOTS of things I love about it: no commercials, great movie selections, etc.) it's that they run new episodes during the off season for most primetime series.

I remember dreading spring because all my favorite shows were going to be playing reruns until after school was back in session.  Obviously my parents were not into Pay-per-View TV.

Before I dive into Game of Thrones, let me share with you this awesome link from The Chive A Few Things That Make No Sense About 'The Walking Dead'.  Enjoy Dead-Heads!

Now, onto GoT.  Wow.  I was overwhelmed with all the new characters introduced during the 4th A Song of Ice and Fire book, A Feast for Crows.  I also hated that George RR Martin broke the characters up into two groups and told their stories across two concurrent books: A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons.  But that's another story.

I am very curious to see how the TV show is going to overcome the difficulty of giving each character enough screen time and plot development as we see additional characters joining the cast.  In the books, we lost a couple other key people before we added any new faces, but the show's writers still haven't given those characters the axe yet- which I am grateful for!  Still though, we watched the premier with Ryan and Jen, and Ryan made the comment that there are so many people to follow.  We didn't see Arya Stark at all, nor did we see much of Jon Snow or Tyrion Lannister.  I am very, very curious to see how they make this work.  Especially since they are blowing through the plot of the books and going further ahead into some plots than others.

Sam's big concern is that we're going to see a decline in the series this season now that the show has such a following and they are doing season premier events and meet the cast sessions.  Perhaps he's right.  The more concerning thing for me at the moment is when Martin will finish The Winds of Winter.  It was assumed that he would be able to write roughly 500 pages a year and finish the book in 3 years.  As of November 2012, he had 400 manuscript pages finished.  That means, if I am lucky, he might publish sometime in 2014.  Seriously?  The dude is 64 years old and I am going to be pissed (as will millions of fans around the world) if he leaves this business unfinished or if the TV show catches up to the damn books!

No comments:

Post a Comment