Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Vascular Surgery Sucks

**Disclaimer** I apologize to all those who are interested in vascular surgery or currently pursuing it as a career.  This is just my personal opinion.

Sam started vascular at the VA in Long Beach last week and this has been THE WORST week of residency so far.  The hours are brutal, either because the last team left a lot of their clean up work to Sam's team, or because the luck of the draw has given Sam a bunch of really sick patients.  In reality, it's probably a combination of both.  If we're lucky, he's home before 7.  By "before 7" I mean 6:45 was the earliest he got home last week.  Last night he called me at 8pm to say he was leaving- 8pm on Friday night!  After an hour or maybe 2, he hops into bed and gets ready to do it all over again, and wake up at 4.  It doesn't help that a lot of the vascular patients at the VA have diabetes, alcohol, or other systemic issues going on which complicates their treatment.  

So I have been keeping busy.  I came across 3 really neat job's posted online that I would be really excited to get, and I tailored my resume and cover letter to fit their descriptions.  Thursday I interviewed with a company that does document management- they sell copiers, printers, interactive computer screens, etc.  They asked me to come in for a second interview, but honestly, I don't think it would be a good fit for me.  It would definitely be a case of me taking a job just to get by until I found something better, which I don't condone in dating or careers.

I just got back from the gym- good workout this morning!  I didn't push myself as hard on the treadmill but I did stick around and do some circuit training on the machines and with free weights for 30 minutes after my jog.  Before I make the final edits to my cover letters and resumes, I'm headed over to Matt & Emily's place to pick up some of their discarded items (bar stools, DVDs, surround system, etc) before they get the keys to their first house on Monday.  The secret is out of the bag, after closing on their new house, they move in on Wednesday.  Lots of hugs to them in this exciting time!





No comments:

Post a Comment