Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Monday, August 8, 2011

Interns

Last night Sam and I hosted dinner for his co-interns.  Unfortunately, Minau, who is the girl intern, couldn't make it.  She was a practicing lawyer before returning to school to obtain her MD, so I am fascinated by her life path and was bummed I didn't get to meet her.  But I did get to meet Duy (pronounced Zoo-ee) and Sohrab.  Duy grew up in Anaheim Hills (he was a UCI undergraduate) so he is living with his parents while he gets acclimated and starts paying back his loans.  Sohrab was born in Sweden and moved to Palo Alto when he was 16.   He graduated from UCSD undergrad and medical school, and he's living near the hospital.  

It's funny, meeting 2 of Sam's co-interns made the whole "Residency" thing real to me.  Until this point, my social interactions have centered on people I know from medical school- either students who've have yet to graduate or alumni who are now UCI residents.  Hearing Sohrab and Duy talk about their surgeries and which attendings they like/dislike was great since I've old had Sam's opinion so far.  I also noticed that I am completely immune to medical conversations. I believe at one point they were talking about gangrenous wounds in the diabetes clinic and suddenly Sohrab turned to me and apologized for the horrible dinner conversation.  I put his concern to rest and assured him that I had once asked Sam to tell my dad & grandpa about his anatomy class dissections during a dinner at the Outback Steakhouse.  Not a great venue for said conversation, let me tell you.

I must say, I really liked both Duy and Sohrab and I'm excited to get to know them better in the next several years.  They obviously won't take the place of the Santa Barbara boys, who are more like brothers to Sam and I than friends, and they certainly can't replace the med school friends we've lost to non-UCI residency programs, but they are definitely solid guys with great senses of humor and hopefully they will find some equally entertaining significant others in the next few years so that I have a new set of girlfriends to hang out with.

No comments:

Post a Comment