Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Friday, July 26, 2013

Parenting Test Drive

Woah, woah, before the rumor mill starts up: my womb is very much vacant.

I have been helping Emily out with Ethan a little bit over the past couple of weeks while Matt's traveling and she's stuck on a heinous rotation.  I haven't stayed with him since about a year ago and so much has changed since then.

It's amazing to me how much energy it takes me to watch him.  I mean really, it's so much more challenging that I could have ever imagined that it was going to  be.  Not that I'm ready to have a baby by any means, but I do think it's good to prepare mentally and be aware of what I'm getting into if/when I am ready to have kids of my own.  

Actually, this was the same research process I went through before getting Hunter-.  Thanks to taking Henry (Matt & Emily's Cavalier) over night and on weekends several times, I knew it would change my life and I knew that nothing would ever be the same.  I knew what it was going to feel like to walk down the stairs and take a dog for a potty break before bed.  I knew it was going to suck to wake up in the night with him.  I knew that he would cuddle with me and snuggle with me and it would be amazing and worth every second of him throwing up, peeing on the carpet, etc.

I guess this is kind of the same thing, but I am test driving a child instead of a puppy.  

Ethan is the easiest kid I have ever been around- almost always smiling, very happy, pretty easy going despite being in the "Why?" phase where he literally asks "Why?" every single time you tell him something.  

But seriously, he's got complete sentences going on, he's getting potty trained, and his personality is really coming out too.  I can't believe how much fun we had together.  

That said, OMG I have so much respect for parents!  How people pull off parenting let alone juggling parenting and a full-time job is a seriously noteworthy feat.  I get up in the morning, and even when I try to adjust my schedule to account for Ethan, he's got his own agenda and I can't seem to make it to work on time to save my life.  Thankfully, I have a really flexible job and my schedule is pretty low-key.




No comments:

Post a Comment