Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Only the Good Die Young

"It is not length of life, but depth of life"
Ralph Waldo Emerson 

Today I received bad news from some former teammates: one of the girls I played varsity water polo with in high school passed away yesterday.
From what I understand, she stayed home from work on Monday with a headache.  On Tuesday, at work, she lost her ability to speak and was rushed to a local Emergency Department.  After running some tests, doctors realized that she had experienced a stroke.  I believe at that point, they put her into a medically induced coma and transfered her to a hospital that specializes in treating stroke victims.

Her parents flew from Northern California to Colorado on Wednesday where they received the terrible news that their daughter would not recover.  On the eve of her 30th birthday, Liz Doherty was taken off life support and passed away.
I have lost grandparents, and parents of friends, but Liz is my first friend who has passed away.  I am in a state of shock.
We played together my sophomore year of high school, when our team won the North Coast Section.  It was a tumultuous season for our team: we had younger girls playing more than older girls, our coach was inexperienced, and we didn't stand a chance on paper.  But we became a team despite the barriers to success.
I remember one night, Coach was riding Liz pretty hard.  We were all feeling a bit exhausted and nobody wanted to be there.  Coach said to Liz, "How'd you miss that shot? What are you? Blind?" To which Liz replied, "Yeah, actually, I am blind in my left eye."  Boy.  That was a fast lesson in smart-assing a coach.  One I took to heart and put into practice many years after Liz had graduated.

I remember her giving me advice on not caring too much about the sport- it was character building, but wouldn't mean much out in the real world after college.  Liz lived each day to the fullest.  She lived fast and died young.  But boy, did she have a helluva time doing it.
Tonight, on what would have been Liz's 30th birthday, I am thinking back fondly on that season at Campolindo.  I am remembering her smile, her laugh and the way she could always lighten the mood. Thank you for the memories, I will always think fondly on our time together and wish that it didn't have to end so soon.


"May your glass be ever full.
May the roof over your head be always strong.
And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead."
Irish Proverb


1 comment:

  1. What hard news. Ill be praying for her family - so young.

    ReplyDelete