Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Happy (early) Birthday Papa Santi

Carina and I flew into Oakland this morning to surprise our grandpa for his 78th birthday tomorrow.  My mom and Carina had been planning this for months, and last week I decided I ought to join the fun.  I also haven't seen Carina since January, nor will I see her before Thanksgiving or Christmas (depending how the holidays pan out).  Being a pretty family-oriented person, I figured I should continue my trend of taking advantage of the opportunities life throws at me and spend a little quality time with my nearest and dearest.

Papa, not knowing that Carina and I are coming to town, already has plans tomorrow night.  We're celebrating a little early Tonight we're going to our favorite Italian restaurant in San Francisco- Firenzi by Night.  Papa thinks he and Nonna, who is in on the secret, are picking Mom up and heading into the city to get Dad on their way to the restaurant.  Little does he know that he has 2 unexpected passengers!

I posted to our cousin's facebook last night to let her know our plans- Ali is a freshman at Georgia Tech where she has already started classes and is training with the volleyball team.  She was so excited for Papa, and we both lamented the fact that she and her brother, Brock, can't be here tonight.  Someday it would be really neat to coordinate all 4 of us surprising our grandparents!  Ali mentioned that she has started to notice how much our mutual grandparents and her mom's parents have aged, and I had to agree with her.  It's hard because I still think of Nonna and Papa as they were when I was in high school- he still skis, they both drive, she cooks as well as ever, they love traveling, etc.  But when I stop and think about it, they are starting to slow down a little bit.  After losing my mom's parents in January '10 & '11, I appreciate the time I have been able to spend with my dad's parents.  They have known me as a child, and an adult; they have been there for all the big milestones in my life; and they continue to be a big part of my life- I check in with them on the phone once a week or so.  I am so damn lucky to have them!

So here's to you, Papa!  I really hope you're over the moon tonight when you see Carina and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment