Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Girls Night + Sam

Sam is such a trooper.  My college girlfriend, Carrie, came down from Manhattan Beach to escape Carmageddon and redeem our massage/facial coupons at the Hyatt Newport Beach.  Amy was on call and couldn't join us at the spa, but we invited her to dinner on Saturday night.  So Sam had three beautiful women in the kitchen making him dinner while he studied some online book he's been reading from during most of his off-hours. 

Carrie's beautiful flowers
Carrie brought us some gorgeous flowers, which will hopefully brighten my long days job searching this week.  She always gets us the most beautiful flowers, I even still have the orchid she gave us when we moved into graduate housing last year- it's on it's second bloom and looks just wonderful! 

We had tacos for dinner, with some white wine, and funfetti cupcakes for dessert.  Carrie and I make cupcakes pretty frequently, and I should have asked her to bring down her cupcake decorating book.  It's got all kinds of really neat ideas for decorating cupcakes, and we made lion cupcakes 2nd year of medical school for (I think) Tina's birthday.


After we were finished eating, Sam sat out in the living room and we three girls hung out in the guest room gossiping and chatting.  Every so often Sam would come in and join our conversation as we hit topics he is interested in, which I thought was really cute.  I love that he makes the effort to hang out with my girlfriends.

This morning, after our massages and facials, Carrie and I watched the Women's World Cup game where the US lost to Japan.  :-(  Sad day!  But we had a good time with Sam, Nick, and Mason.  Of course, just about five minutes after Sam and Ryan made plans to hang out and grab a drink later tonight, his pager went off and the ED (it's apparently called the Emergency Department not the Emergency Room) had a 50+ year old woman who took a ground-level fall and fractured her wrist.  He took off to splint it and make sure it doesn't need to be reduced (doctor talk for reset) so now I'm going to meet up with Ryan and Sam will have to join us on his way back from the hospital.  Poor guy.  He has been sitting around all weekend waiting for a page to no avail.


My mom and some of her closest girlfriends (some of whom may still be reading this blog) are up in Tahoe this weekend at Grammy and Papa's house.  Mom said they stayed up all night talking on Friday and saw the Saturday morning sunrise.  That reminds me of my Papa, who would get up and watch the sunrise every morning while playing solitaire- first he played with cards but later he got a Mac and would play on the computer.  This photo made me stop and think too, I guess that house will always be 'Grammy and Papa's House' even though they are gone.  We spilled a few of Papa's ashes in the front garden as we were getting ready to hike Mt. Rubicon to spread them, and I actually think that was fitting.  He put so much of his blood, sweat, and tears into that house.  I am glad he will eternally be there.

I miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment