Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm looking forward to this life I live.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Packing

I hate packing.  I hate unpacking.  I hate moving.  I would love to throw mostly everything away and buy new stuff so that I don't have to deal with the whole mess.  Sam and I get the keys to our new apartment tomorrow at noon and my parents are on their way down with my mom's antique china cabinet and her dining room table that I am inheriting.  Thank goodness!  It's been a challenging finding ways to have 12+ people for dinner when our table accommodates 6 at best and we mostly have people eat on our couches and the floor.  Something tells me Sam's co-residents won't be thrilled if I invite them over to eat dinner on the floor.  

We've mostly got the bathroom and our bedroom under control, except for a few miscellaneous items- by the way it's the miscellaneous stuff I hate the most.  There is no good place for it to be packed!  The living room is looking good except for our fragile decorative items and our electronics.  Right now, Sam is going through his desk and all the medical school paperwork he's saved over the last four years.  Then he'll have to do the guest room closet which has a lot of his things he's had since high school (a stereo, his rollerblades, etc.).  When he's finally done with that room I will get to go through my desk and pack away our printer into it's original box so that it can be moved Monday. 

We haven't touched the kitchen yet.  I still have the original boxes for our coffee machine and our crockpot, but I am dreading going through all the pots and pans, wrapping the dishes and glasses, and packing everything neatly so that it doesn't get destroyed.  

Ugh!  I am overwhelmed by the enormity of the project!  The lesson learned here is clearly that while I thought we got rid of a lot of extra stuff last year when we downsized from our beautiful Baypointe apartment into graduate housing, we still have a lot of fat to trim.  I'm actually going through the things in my desk drawers and my bedside table this time around.  If I haven't used it, it's going.  If I don't have an immediate use for it, it's out.  

On that note, I should probably get back to it.  

1 comment:

  1. I despise packing/moving so much I would rather change jobs than move. Ugh.

    That said, good luck! I LOVE going through the entire house and purging the unnecessary crap - what a great feeling when you move in "fresh."

    ReplyDelete